The Art of Welcoming
Minimalists all over the world be aware: this story is not for you, here we will be celebrating opulence, grandeur, and the kaleidoscopic art of the Palermitan welcome
Following lush Sicilian tradition, Dell’Oglio interprets La Double J, a name that is like a breath of fresh air in Italian ladies’ wardrobes and on their tables. JJ Martin’s spirit embodies the exclusive beauty and the joy of living of the women of the ‘beautiful country’ that is Italy, and it is in Palermo that we reveal the legendary style and class of the true masters of every Sicilian household.
We entered their houses and asked them to tell us their secrets, we looked around their table settings, all amongst the objects closest to their hearts, amidst their rituals and their obsessions. As a result of this emerged a real manual on the art of welcoming in the style of the Gattapardi, with tables capable of hosting 65 diners, dining rooms transformed into obstacle course, dozens of course, swans and cassata cakes.
But above all we were touched by the kindess and warm welcome of four exceptional ‘masters’ of the house, who donated their time and, with a lot of irony and humour, narrated the art of hospitality in Sicily, that special creative flair that is able to surprise and ensure you have a good time.
Our Legendary Ladies featuring
LA DOUBLE J
BY GAIA PALMA
- Don’t wear anything too over the top
- Start with a cheerful and light aperitivo
- Make sure there is an element of fun
- Wherever possible it’s always better to organize a sit-down dinner to facilitate conversation
- Don’t be scared to make mistakes, a true host is relaxed and dedicated to their guests
5 TIPS ON HOW TO MAKE SURE YOUR GUESTS HAVE A GOOD TIME
BY FRANCA TASCA
- Invite many friends from different groups
- Transform the house into an amusement park
- Ask your friends to dress according to a theme
- Pay a lot of attention when creating atmosphere: lights, music, even special effects
- As the host, be the first one to put yourself out there and get involved
5 TIPS ON HOW TO SURPISE
BY NATHALIE HAMBRO
- Play with lighting, don’t limit yourself to candles
- Prepare something that you would normally buy ready-made, for example bread, pasta or dessert…
- Create something unexpected
- Experiment with colour, even in the food!
- Invite a limited number of people at a time so that you are able to dedicate all your attention to them
5 TIPS FOR SETTING THE TABLE
BY ANTONELLA BORDONARO
- Research your diners thoroughly to ensure a successful seating arrangement
- Never forget fresh flowers
- Coordinate cutlery and tableware
- If you prepare the table with Vermeil, it is always better to use plates with a golden edge
- A big table should have an ornamental centrepiece
5 KEY PRINCIPLES OF THE SICILIAN WELCOME
- Opulence: of the table, of the food, of everything
- Abundance: more of everything
- Surpise: amaze your guest, delight not only their palate but also their eyes
- Fun: even in a formal context a bit of madness doesn’t harm anyone
- Colour: on the table, in the food, in everything
La Double J Pop-Up Corner
On the occasion of the arrival of La double J in the city, a pop-up store has been created in the D’O boutique in piazza Castelnuovo, where Dell’Oglio dresses the most refined women. Journeying into the heart of spring, every client who enters the boutique is welcome to participate in an exclusive déjeuner sur l'herbe amidst an atomosphere of floral prints of the Spring-Summer 19 collection, where they will also notice swimming costumes with long sleeves, a true must-have for the upcoming summer. The plates, glasses and the tableclothes are the same ones that La Double J has created after a thorough research of the ‘Made in Italy’ taste.
We shouldn’t be scared of colour, it is the realm of happiness. La Double J’s pieces combined with Dell’Oglio’s personal research is an irresistable mix that will infect all clients with an engaging zest for life.
The Exclusive Location
For an entire day, Palazzo Pantelleria, La Bella Palermo, once the splendid home of the Requesens, Buscemi and Regalbuto, also known as the Princeses of Pantelleria, and today owned by Massimo Cazzaniga, has been transformed into Casa Dell’Oglio’s to host La Double J.
As per tradition that is respected in every Sicilian home, when a foreign guest arrives one does everything to welcome them in the best way possibile. Every room of this house, of this beautiful house that Professor Cazzaniga has furnished with an eclectic collection that he has put together from his variuos travels around the world, is animated with something special. Just like in an amusement park, behind every door you can find a surprise linked to the art of the traditional Sicilian welcome.
There could not have been a better place than Palazzo Pantelleria to host this event, a place in which all manner of objects have found a home, put together thanks to Massimo Cazzaniga’s curiosity and desire to share. From fans to tobacco cans, from prestigious paintings to a library that has rare and autographed editions, guests are immersed in beauty, and the precious art of growing and cultivating it.